Thursday, October 11, 2007

A Local Perspective

The umbrella topic of Bourbon Street allows for a variety of approaches to tell its story. There is its vibrant history, its current functions, the embedded laid-back attitude, and its status as a symbol. With such a broad range, I couldn’t decide if I wanted to talk to an expert about history, or if I would rather talk to a local first and get a feel for how Bourbon Street is received by them. I decided that this week was going to be for getting a psychological grasp on Bourbon Street, and my best option for an interview was to find a local. That is not as easy as it seems; all of our neighbors are not from here, and then what would be the right type of local to look for? So I headed to the French Quarter, not sure where I was headed. I certainly wasn’t going to find a local roaming the streets of Bourbon Street, but then it hit me that all of the shopkeepers in the area are locals who get daily experience with the tourist crowd. I decided that I should go somewhere I felt comfortable, so that the interview would go more smoothly, as I am not one to talk randomly to strangers. I chose the Sweet Pea and Tulip boutique, and when I entered I realized the shopkeeper was in fact the same young guy who was there the last time we shopped. A level of acquaintance was already established, so therefore I could dive right into the interview. My first question was asking what Bourbon Street meant to him, what does its name evoke? He responded that it was not a place he would go, that it could be fun, but it doesn’t have a good music scene. He said that back in the fifties, Bourbon Street used to be a jazz hotspot, but now that is migrating over to Frenchman St on the outskirts of the French Quarter. He remarked that Bourbon Street to him offered nothing more than cheap beer, that it is completely about tourism and a cheap strip they can go and be contained. I next asked if he thought Bourbon Street was a negative symbol for New Orleans. He responded that its not bad because it brings the people here, and also that it represents the laid back nature of New Orleans. He felt that the easygoing aspect should be the symbol of New Orleans, and its unique attributes, rather than Bourbon Street, should be the symbol. He suggested that Frenchman should become the view if New Orleans people perceive. I then asked about the “spirit” of New Orleans, and whether Bourbon Street represented that. He said Mardi Gras is great there, and any sort of party or holiday, such as the upcoming Halloween festivities makes for a fun time and good spirit. However he feels that the real spirit of New Orleans is not found on Bourbon Street. Lastly I asked about the psychology of New Orleans, and why Bourbon Street is accepted here. He said vices were certainly embraced here, much more so that in the rest to the South. Everybody here is laid back, and have much more of a passion for music, eating and drinking. Fun and relaxation is the goal, and therefore the people in this city allow for others to be themselves without judgment. As I ended my interview, which was less of an interview and more of a conversation (I soon forgot my list of questions), I felt that this was a worthwhile venture to the French Quarter. The locals don’t mind Bourbon Street, but they don’t use it. They would rather the laid back psychology of the city, which is also present on Bourbon Street, be the symbol the outside world perceives.

No comments: